• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 11 hours ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 18 hours ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 1 day ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 3 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 4 days ago

Caixa Electronica Sits Trip in Westchester

Caixa Electronica sat the garden spot trip behind swift splits and captured Saturday's Westchester Stakes from Belmont Park.

The pace was surprisingly strong in the 5-horse field with Christmas For Liam taking it to Haynesfield through fractions of :22.34, :44.72, and 1:08.89.

Caixa Electronica was poised to strike from 3rd and edged clear in the stretch to win by 2-3/4 lengths. The Todd Pletcher trainee, owned by Mike Repole and ridden by Cornelio Velasquez, stopped the clock in 1:34.26 and paid $22.

Convocation rallied wide to land the place and Schoolyard Dreams was up late to snatch the show away from Haynesfield. Christmas For Liam weakened to last and Soaring Empire scratched.

WESTCHESTER (G3) QUOTES

Jonathan Thomas, assistant to winning trainer Todd Pletcher, of Caixa Eletronica (No. 2): “Regardless of the pace scenario, we felt if he just sat and made one run it was going to be conducive to his racing style. You would have to consider the Met Mile [Grade 1, May 30, Belmont Park]. He’s a real generous horse and it seems like you can do whatever you need to do with him. Cornelio gave him a great ride and he ran beautifully.”

Cornelio Velasquez, winning jockey aboard Caixa Eletronica (No. 2): “I had a good trip.  My horse broke on the lead, but the number six [Christmas for Liam] went out to the lead and I stayed behind the speed. I had a lot of horse – the last three-sixteenths, when I asked him I had a lot of horse. This horse has changed a lot, he’s a very nice horse.”

Ramon Dominguez, jockey aboard beaten favorite and fourth-place finisher Haynesfield (No. 5): “We just had an awful set-up. My horse broke sharply, but the horse on the outside [Christmas for Liam] had more speed. I was doing everything under my full power when I realized I couldn’t match strides with the horse on the outside. I wasn’t able to get him back as he was too fresh.”