• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 6 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 6 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 6 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 7 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 7 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 7 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 7 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 7 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 7 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 7 days ago

Caixa Electronica Sits Trip in Westchester

Caixa Electronica sat the garden spot trip behind swift splits and captured Saturday's Westchester Stakes from Belmont Park.

The pace was surprisingly strong in the 5-horse field with Christmas For Liam taking it to Haynesfield through fractions of :22.34, :44.72, and 1:08.89.

Caixa Electronica was poised to strike from 3rd and edged clear in the stretch to win by 2-3/4 lengths. The Todd Pletcher trainee, owned by Mike Repole and ridden by Cornelio Velasquez, stopped the clock in 1:34.26 and paid $22.

Convocation rallied wide to land the place and Schoolyard Dreams was up late to snatch the show away from Haynesfield. Christmas For Liam weakened to last and Soaring Empire scratched.

WESTCHESTER (G3) QUOTES

Jonathan Thomas, assistant to winning trainer Todd Pletcher, of Caixa Eletronica (No. 2): “Regardless of the pace scenario, we felt if he just sat and made one run it was going to be conducive to his racing style. You would have to consider the Met Mile [Grade 1, May 30, Belmont Park]. He’s a real generous horse and it seems like you can do whatever you need to do with him. Cornelio gave him a great ride and he ran beautifully.”

Cornelio Velasquez, winning jockey aboard Caixa Eletronica (No. 2): “I had a good trip.  My horse broke on the lead, but the number six [Christmas for Liam] went out to the lead and I stayed behind the speed. I had a lot of horse – the last three-sixteenths, when I asked him I had a lot of horse. This horse has changed a lot, he’s a very nice horse.”

Ramon Dominguez, jockey aboard beaten favorite and fourth-place finisher Haynesfield (No. 5): “We just had an awful set-up. My horse broke sharply, but the horse on the outside [Christmas for Liam] had more speed. I was doing everything under my full power when I realized I couldn’t match strides with the horse on the outside. I wasn’t able to get him back as he was too fresh.”