• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 1 day ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 7 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 8 days ago

Caixa Electronica Sits Trip in Westchester

Caixa Electronica sat the garden spot trip behind swift splits and captured Saturday's Westchester Stakes from Belmont Park.

The pace was surprisingly strong in the 5-horse field with Christmas For Liam taking it to Haynesfield through fractions of :22.34, :44.72, and 1:08.89.

Caixa Electronica was poised to strike from 3rd and edged clear in the stretch to win by 2-3/4 lengths. The Todd Pletcher trainee, owned by Mike Repole and ridden by Cornelio Velasquez, stopped the clock in 1:34.26 and paid $22.

Convocation rallied wide to land the place and Schoolyard Dreams was up late to snatch the show away from Haynesfield. Christmas For Liam weakened to last and Soaring Empire scratched.

WESTCHESTER (G3) QUOTES

Jonathan Thomas, assistant to winning trainer Todd Pletcher, of Caixa Eletronica (No. 2): “Regardless of the pace scenario, we felt if he just sat and made one run it was going to be conducive to his racing style. You would have to consider the Met Mile [Grade 1, May 30, Belmont Park]. He’s a real generous horse and it seems like you can do whatever you need to do with him. Cornelio gave him a great ride and he ran beautifully.”

Cornelio Velasquez, winning jockey aboard Caixa Eletronica (No. 2): “I had a good trip.  My horse broke on the lead, but the number six [Christmas for Liam] went out to the lead and I stayed behind the speed. I had a lot of horse – the last three-sixteenths, when I asked him I had a lot of horse. This horse has changed a lot, he’s a very nice horse.”

Ramon Dominguez, jockey aboard beaten favorite and fourth-place finisher Haynesfield (No. 5): “We just had an awful set-up. My horse broke sharply, but the horse on the outside [Christmas for Liam] had more speed. I was doing everything under my full power when I realized I couldn’t match strides with the horse on the outside. I wasn’t able to get him back as he was too fresh.”