• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 3 days ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 4 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 4 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 8 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 9 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 10 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 10 days ago

Caixa Electronica Sits Trip in Westchester

Caixa Electronica sat the garden spot trip behind swift splits and captured Saturday's Westchester Stakes from Belmont Park.

The pace was surprisingly strong in the 5-horse field with Christmas For Liam taking it to Haynesfield through fractions of :22.34, :44.72, and 1:08.89.

Caixa Electronica was poised to strike from 3rd and edged clear in the stretch to win by 2-3/4 lengths. The Todd Pletcher trainee, owned by Mike Repole and ridden by Cornelio Velasquez, stopped the clock in 1:34.26 and paid $22.

Convocation rallied wide to land the place and Schoolyard Dreams was up late to snatch the show away from Haynesfield. Christmas For Liam weakened to last and Soaring Empire scratched.

WESTCHESTER (G3) QUOTES

Jonathan Thomas, assistant to winning trainer Todd Pletcher, of Caixa Eletronica (No. 2): “Regardless of the pace scenario, we felt if he just sat and made one run it was going to be conducive to his racing style. You would have to consider the Met Mile [Grade 1, May 30, Belmont Park]. He’s a real generous horse and it seems like you can do whatever you need to do with him. Cornelio gave him a great ride and he ran beautifully.”

Cornelio Velasquez, winning jockey aboard Caixa Eletronica (No. 2): “I had a good trip.  My horse broke on the lead, but the number six [Christmas for Liam] went out to the lead and I stayed behind the speed. I had a lot of horse – the last three-sixteenths, when I asked him I had a lot of horse. This horse has changed a lot, he’s a very nice horse.”

Ramon Dominguez, jockey aboard beaten favorite and fourth-place finisher Haynesfield (No. 5): “We just had an awful set-up. My horse broke sharply, but the horse on the outside [Christmas for Liam] had more speed. I was doing everything under my full power when I realized I couldn’t match strides with the horse on the outside. I wasn’t able to get him back as he was too fresh.”