• Unique Bella is off the Kentucky Oaks trail with a sore shin, per Steve Anderson.Posted 1 day ago
  • Hence (10-1) rallies to win the Sunland Park Derby going away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Ghalia (2-1) edges a game Kell Paso in the Sunland Park Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Itsinthepost (6-1) drives home the win in the Grade 2 San Luis Rey.Posted 3 days ago
  • Fear the Cowboy (7-2) comes running late to capture the Grade 3 Skip Away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Fast and Accurate (24-1) bursts through to upset the Grade 3 Spiral.Posted 3 days ago
  • Purely a Dream (12-1) pulls ahead in the stretch to take the Grade 3 Bourbonette Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Arrogate, despite a dreadful break, wins the Dubai World Cup easily.Posted 4 days ago
  • Jack Hobbs is much the best in the Sheema Classic.Posted 4 days ago
  • Vivlos flies late to get up for the win in the $6 million Dubai Turf.Posted 4 days ago

Broussard Excited About First Career Mount

Ashley Broussard, a 20-year-old exercise rider from Youngsville, La., summed up her feelings about her first career mount on Friday at Churchill Downs with just one word – “awesome.”

Broussard, who grew up competing in barrel races in her hometown near Lafayette, first considered switching to riding in Thoroughbred races at age 15 and made her way to Evangeline Training Center at 18.

“In barrel racing, you’re by yourself,” Broussard said. “Horse racing is more of an adrenaline rush because you’re racing with other horses.”

Broussard made her way to Kentucky this year after spending the winter at Fair Grounds and now is ready to ride in her first race after more than two years as an exercise rider. She will be aboard It’snotyouit’sme in Friday’s ninth race. Post time for Race 9 is 6:54 p.m.

“I’ve got family flying in from Louisiana for the race,” Broussard said. “I’m not nervous about it, though. I’m trying not to think about it too much, but I’m not really one that gets nervous.”

While many jockeys need to focus on keeping their weight down, at 4 feet 11 inches, Broussard actually worked to gain weight in preparation for her riding career.

“I weighed 84 pounds last year and now I weigh 99,” Broussard said. “I always ate enough, but I started going to the gym and just gave it time.”

Broussard mentioned that she has received help from many people on her journey to becoming a jockey, including her agent Fred Aime and jockey Rosie Napravnik.

“Fred has helped me a lot and I wouldn’t be this far without Rosie,” Broussard said.

Broussard said she plans to ride the meet at Ellis Park at the conclusion of the Churchill Downs meet.

“The plan is to go to Ellis and then I don’t know where I’ll go from there,” Broussard said.