• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Broussard Excited About First Career Mount

Ashley Broussard, a 20-year-old exercise rider from Youngsville, La., summed up her feelings about her first career mount on Friday at Churchill Downs with just one word – “awesome.”

Broussard, who grew up competing in barrel races in her hometown near Lafayette, first considered switching to riding in Thoroughbred races at age 15 and made her way to Evangeline Training Center at 18.

“In barrel racing, you’re by yourself,” Broussard said. “Horse racing is more of an adrenaline rush because you’re racing with other horses.”

Broussard made her way to Kentucky this year after spending the winter at Fair Grounds and now is ready to ride in her first race after more than two years as an exercise rider. She will be aboard It’snotyouit’sme in Friday’s ninth race. Post time for Race 9 is 6:54 p.m.

“I’ve got family flying in from Louisiana for the race,” Broussard said. “I’m not nervous about it, though. I’m trying not to think about it too much, but I’m not really one that gets nervous.”

While many jockeys need to focus on keeping their weight down, at 4 feet 11 inches, Broussard actually worked to gain weight in preparation for her riding career.

“I weighed 84 pounds last year and now I weigh 99,” Broussard said. “I always ate enough, but I started going to the gym and just gave it time.”

Broussard mentioned that she has received help from many people on her journey to becoming a jockey, including her agent Fred Aime and jockey Rosie Napravnik.

“Fred has helped me a lot and I wouldn’t be this far without Rosie,” Broussard said.

Broussard said she plans to ride the meet at Ellis Park at the conclusion of the Churchill Downs meet.

“The plan is to go to Ellis and then I don’t know where I’ll go from there,” Broussard said.