• Stellar Wind (9-2) overtakes a battling Beholder (1-9) in the Clement L. Hirsch (G1).Posted 9 hours ago
  • Laoban (27-1) wins his very first race in 8 starts in the Jim Dandy (G2).Posted 11 hours ago
  • A.P. Indian (9-2) gets the jump on Holy Boss (3-1) to win the Alfred G. Vanderbilt (G1). Posted 11 hours ago
  • Stonetastic (2-5) cruises to an easy victory in the Regret.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Lexie Lou (1-5) refuses to let Internal Bourbon (9-2) by in the Victoriana.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Flintshire (1-9) fights his way through and rolls to victory in the Bowling Green (G2).Posted 13 hours ago
  • Mind Your Biscuits (3-1) runs up the rail to win the Amsterdam (G2).Posted 14 hours ago
  • Connect, a son of Curlin, connects in the Curlin Stakes at Saratoga.Posted 1 day ago
  • Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 3 days ago

Broussard Excited About First Career Mount

Ashley Broussard, a 20-year-old exercise rider from Youngsville, La., summed up her feelings about her first career mount on Friday at Churchill Downs with just one word – “awesome.”

Broussard, who grew up competing in barrel races in her hometown near Lafayette, first considered switching to riding in Thoroughbred races at age 15 and made her way to Evangeline Training Center at 18.

“In barrel racing, you’re by yourself,” Broussard said. “Horse racing is more of an adrenaline rush because you’re racing with other horses.”

Broussard made her way to Kentucky this year after spending the winter at Fair Grounds and now is ready to ride in her first race after more than two years as an exercise rider. She will be aboard It’snotyouit’sme in Friday’s ninth race. Post time for Race 9 is 6:54 p.m.

“I’ve got family flying in from Louisiana for the race,” Broussard said. “I’m not nervous about it, though. I’m trying not to think about it too much, but I’m not really one that gets nervous.”

While many jockeys need to focus on keeping their weight down, at 4 feet 11 inches, Broussard actually worked to gain weight in preparation for her riding career.

“I weighed 84 pounds last year and now I weigh 99,” Broussard said. “I always ate enough, but I started going to the gym and just gave it time.”

Broussard mentioned that she has received help from many people on her journey to becoming a jockey, including her agent Fred Aime and jockey Rosie Napravnik.

“Fred has helped me a lot and I wouldn’t be this far without Rosie,” Broussard said.

Broussard said she plans to ride the meet at Ellis Park at the conclusion of the Churchill Downs meet.

“The plan is to go to Ellis and then I don’t know where I’ll go from there,” Broussard said.