• Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cheekaboo wins a blanket finish in the Honeymoon at 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Donegal Moon scores after Unified comes up empty in the Pegasus Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Ancient Secret just gets up to win the Wild Applause Stakes at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bradester (9-1) upsets the Stephen Foster (G1) in gate to wire fashionPosted 6 days ago
  • Pleuven (Fr), with a stalking move, wins the Wise Dan (G2) at 7-1Posted 6 days ago
  • Paid Up Subscriber (6-1) rallies and draws off to win the Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2)Posted 6 days ago
  • Songbird (1-9) stays unbeaten in the Summertime Oaks (G2) at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-9) goes gate to wire to easily take the Matt Winn (G3).Posted 6 days ago

Broussard Excited About First Career Mount

Ashley Broussard, a 20-year-old exercise rider from Youngsville, La., summed up her feelings about her first career mount on Friday at Churchill Downs with just one word – “awesome.”

Broussard, who grew up competing in barrel races in her hometown near Lafayette, first considered switching to riding in Thoroughbred races at age 15 and made her way to Evangeline Training Center at 18.

“In barrel racing, you’re by yourself,” Broussard said. “Horse racing is more of an adrenaline rush because you’re racing with other horses.”

Broussard made her way to Kentucky this year after spending the winter at Fair Grounds and now is ready to ride in her first race after more than two years as an exercise rider. She will be aboard It’snotyouit’sme in Friday’s ninth race. Post time for Race 9 is 6:54 p.m.

“I’ve got family flying in from Louisiana for the race,” Broussard said. “I’m not nervous about it, though. I’m trying not to think about it too much, but I’m not really one that gets nervous.”

While many jockeys need to focus on keeping their weight down, at 4 feet 11 inches, Broussard actually worked to gain weight in preparation for her riding career.

“I weighed 84 pounds last year and now I weigh 99,” Broussard said. “I always ate enough, but I started going to the gym and just gave it time.”

Broussard mentioned that she has received help from many people on her journey to becoming a jockey, including her agent Fred Aime and jockey Rosie Napravnik.

“Fred has helped me a lot and I wouldn’t be this far without Rosie,” Broussard said.

Broussard said she plans to ride the meet at Ellis Park at the conclusion of the Churchill Downs meet.

“The plan is to go to Ellis and then I don’t know where I’ll go from there,” Broussard said.