• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 3 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 3 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 9 days ago

Breen Eyes Belmont Repeat With My Adonis

My Adonis
All eyes, well most eyes, will be glued to post 11 for Saturday’s Belmont Stakes - that’s where I’ll Have Another will break from as he goes for the Triple Crown.  But one stall to his outside will be My Adonis, and Monmouth Park-based trainer Kelly John Breen will have his eyes focused on him as the 3-year-old colt looks to give the 43-year-old trainer back-to-back upsets in Saturday’s Classic.

“We’re just trying to repeat what we did last year,” said Breen, who conditioned Ruler On Ice to a 24-1 victory in last year’s Belmont Stakes.  “I like being on the outside.  In a race like this, post position doesn’t really come into play.”

My Adonis, a colt by Pleasantly Perfect, broke his maiden at Monmouth last September, drawing off in the mud to a nearly five-length score.  He followed that up with a stakes win at Delta Downs.

This season, the George and Lori Hall color bearer was third in the Holy Bull (G3), second in the Gotham (G3) and most recently third, beaten just a half-length in the Canonero II Stakes at Pimlico on May 5.

While he’s shown versatility in his running style, Breen was not offering any indication what we can expect from My Adonis come Saturday.

“We’ll all sit down and talk about it,” said Breen.  “The Halls, myself, Ramon (jockey Dominguez) will get together and discuss the best course of action.”

As for last year’s Belmont Stakes winner, Breen said the Breeders’ Cup Classic is the ultimate goal this year for his now 4-year-old gelding by Roman Ruler.

“We’ll let him tell us when he’s ready,” the trainer said.  “He worked well last Sunday (3 furlongs in :36 flat at Monmouth).  There’s no race picked out for him, no definitive plan, we’ll just wait until he’s says he’s ready.”

Ruler On Ice was third in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Classic, earning $495,000 in the process.  He’s made one start in 2012, an eighth-place finish in the Donn Handicap (G1) at Gulfstream Park on February 11.

Older Comments about Breen Eyes Belmont Repeat With My Adonis...

Hes going on my gimmicks, Why? Nick Zito & Birdstone at 36-1, that's why? Anything can happen in this race.
I think the best course of action would be to scrath My Adonis