• Magic Mark upsets the Bertrando Stakes at 11-1 to kickoff the Los Alamitos meet.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Salutos Amigos dominant in Monmouth Park's Mr. Prospector.Posted 4 days ago
  • Crucero upsets the San Juan Capistrano at odds of 23-1.Posted 4 days ago
  • La Verdad skips through the Belmont slop to a victory in the Dancin Renee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Treve too much for Flintshire and the rest in today's Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud.Posted 4 days ago
  • Golden Lad surges late to score in the Prairie Meadows Cornhusker.Posted 5 days ago
  • Bent on Bourbon has his coming out party in the Iowa Derby.Posted 5 days ago
  • Departing slips through on the hedge to win the Firecracker.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis just holds off Pangburn in the Iowa Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cosmic Evolution edges away to victory in the Debutante.Posted 5 days ago

Borel closing in on 5,000 wins

Calvin Borel celebrates his Kentucky Derby win with Mine That Bird
Three-time Kentucky Derby winning jockey Calvin Borel will begin the 123rd Fall Meet at Churchill Downs just 14 victories shy of the 5,000 career-win milestone and the Louisiana native, who will turn 46 on Nov. 7, is confident he’ll reach the mark this meet at the site of his three most important victories.

“It would be really special to get it here (at Churchill Downs) because of what I’ve accomplished here,” Borel said. “I want to get it here and I think we’ll get it here.”

With 14 more trips to the winner’s circle, Borel will become just the 26th rider to reach the 5,000-win mark. The rarity of such an achievement is not being taken lightly by Borel.

“It means a lot and it’s a big accomplishment,” Borel said. “I’ve been very fortunate. Throughout my career I’ve won races I never dreamed I would win and I never thought I’d win 5,000 races. It’s going to be very exciting, especially as I get closer to it.”

Borel, who has recorded 1,115 wins at Churchill Downs and is the second all-time leading rider at the Louisville track behind Pat Day (2,482), has averaged 19.6 victories per Fall Meet over the last five years.

Older Comments about Borel closing in on 5,000 wins...

Calvin it can't come fast enough for you,well deserve..i hope you get it at churchill downs..Best Always and Be safe..