• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 1 day ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 1 day ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 2 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 2 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 6 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 7 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 8 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 9 days ago

Bond Holder Graduates in FrontRunner

Bond Holder wins 2013 FrontRunner.
Photo: Benoit Photo
Victorious in last year’s Santa Anita Derby, Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, the triumvirate of owner Paul Reddam, jockey Mario Gutierrez and trainer Doug O’Neill tasted Grade I victory again on Saturday as they combined to win Santa Anita’s Grade I FrontRunner Stakes with Bond Holder by 2 ¼ lengths, thus stamping a ticket to the $2 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile at The Great Race Place Nov. 2.

Far back early in a field of 10, Bond Holder, winless in four previous starts, angled out entering the stretch and finished in a manner that belied his 10-1 odds, getting the 1 1/16 miles in 1:45.02.

“This race set up great for my horse because he likes to come from behind,” said Gutierrez.  “He seemed to like the distance today and I think that played a major part in his win.  I don’t think the dirt made much of a difference because he runs everywhere.”

Fractions on the race were 22.58, 46.62, 1:11.76 and 1:38.28.

A Virginia-bred by Mineshaft, Bond Holder paid $23.80, $8.60 and $3.80.

With the winner’s share of $150,000, Bond Holder nearly quintupled his earnings, which now total $186,000.  He now has a win, a second and two thirds from five starts.

Second in the Grade I Del Mar Futurity Sept. 4, Dance With Fate, ridden by Rafael Bejarano, was the 2-1 favorite and finished two lengths clear of Futurity winner Tamarando and Julien Leparoux.

"I had a good trip,” said Bejarano.  “There was no problem…He was in position.  The winner came on in the end.  He was the better horse today.”

Dance With Fate paid $3.80 and $2.80.

Last early due to a bad start, Tamarando, with Julien Leparoux up, finished three quarters of a length in front of Can the Man and paid $3.20 to show.

“He moved right before they opened the gate,” said Leparoux.  “He put his head to the side, and we tried, but we missed the break.  I tried to get closer to the pace on the first turn but I was behind two horses.  If I tried to move too early, I was going to be wide, too, so after that, I had to be patient and see where I could move.  He ran well today.”