• Secretariat winner Highland Reel goes all the way in the Group 1 King George.Posted 23 minutes ago
  • Enola Gray remains undefeated in 3 starts after running away with the Fleet Treat.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Heavily favored Enola Gray makes short work of her competition in the Fleet Treat.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Ancient Secret takes the Lake George (G2).Posted 18 hours ago
  • Sweet Loretta the strong winner of the Schuylerville (G3).Posted 18 hours ago
  • Pretty N Cool flaunts her class in the C.E.R.F. Stakes at Del Mar.Posted 2 days ago
  • Superstar turf horse, Postponed will not defend in Saturday's King George due to respiratory infection.Posted 3 days ago
  • Midnight Storm proves too tough to pass in the Grade 2 Eddie Read.Posted 5 days ago
  • Barleysugar (10-1) makes short work of the Sandy Blue in her U.S. debut.Posted 5 days ago
  • Miss Freeze (8-1) ices her competition with a debut win in the Lynbrook Stakes.Posted 5 days ago

Boisterous Looks Like a Million for Shug

Boisterous and jockey Alan Garcia winning the Grade 3, $150,000 Fort Marcy at Belmont Park.
Claude R. "Shug" McGaughey has won many of the sport's top prizes including classic and Breeders' Cup races, but the Hall of Fame trainer would consider the Arlington Million as one of his crowning achievements should Boisterous win on Saturday.

"I'm dating myself with this, but I was there for the first one, and I think it's a great race," McGaughey said Tuesday. "I was training at Arlington that summer and they said, 'We're going to run a million-dollar race,' and that was the craziest thing I ever heard. It would be a nice race for me or anyone else to win."

Boisterous will be a part of a busy Saturday for Shug, who will be at Saratoga saddling Sea Island in the Grade I Alabama Stakes and Point of Entry in the Grade I Sword Dancer Invitational. The Sword Dancer is also for turf males, and McGaughey said it has been his plan all along to point the Phipps Stable homebreds—Boisterous and Point of Entry—to different Grade I races this summer.

"I wanted to keep them separated but in good company also," McGaughey said. "Boisterous had a nice work [on Monday]. He seems to be coming into the race good; he'll be a factor."

Although McGaughey wants to keep Boisterous and Point of Entry away from each other in the starting gate, he has worked them together. The pair went five furlongs together in 1:00.40 on August 7 at Saratoga but worked separately on Monday.

Boisterous has two wins from four starts at the Million distance of 1 ¼ miles, and McGaughey said he would like new jockey Jose Lezcano to have Boisterous closer to the pace than in the Grade III Arlington Handicap when behind 11 lengths through a half in :48.40.

Boisterous is McGaughey's third Million entrant, but he would only be the trainer's second starter. McGaughey scratched Lure in 1993 because of soft ground and saddled Good Reward to an eighth-place finish in 2005 on yielding going.

"Lure was the morning line favorite, but he didn't favor soft turf, and when I got there that day it had been raining as hard as it could all day, so we had to scratch," McGaughey said. "Good Reward didn't like the softer turf either, but Boisterous would like it. Soft would be fine with us."

The course is unlikely to be rated as soft come Saturday afternoon, but forecasted rain for mid-week could give the turf that "give" McGaughey wants.

"A little bit of give would help," McGaughey said. "It was hard in the (Grade I) Manhattan, and [Boisterous] finished fast, but he doesn't have quite the same kick when it's hard. It doesn't have to be soft, but we want a little bit of give."

Boisterous arrives on Thursday.

Older Comments about Boisterous Looks Like a Million for Shug...

why alan not riding this horse