• Favorite Tara's Tango surges to win the Santa Maria at the wire.Posted 10 hours ago
  • O'Neill's strengthens his stable of 3-year-olds as Frank Conversation wins the El Camino Real Derby.Posted 10 hours ago
  • Bolo nabs Obviously in the final strides of the Arcadia.Posted 13 hours ago
  • BC Mile heroine Tepin crushes her foes in the Lambholm South Endeavor Stakes. Posted 14 hours ago
  • Dancing House is ultra-game in taking the Barbara Fritchie.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Penwith scores in the Royal Delta at Gulfstream Park.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Destin rolls home in the Sam F. Davis at Tampa Bay Downs.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Polar River wins the UAE 1000 Guineas by a pole.Posted 2 days ago
  • Kobe's Back goes from last to first down the stretch to win the Palos Verdes.Posted 6 days ago
  • Storied Lady (4-1) up the rail to nip Saythreehailmary's in the Biogio's Rose.Posted 6 days ago

Blue Grass Headlines Keeneland Meet

Sixteen stakes worth $3.425 million, anchored by the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) and the Central Bank Ashland Stakes (gr. I), are scheduled for Keeneland’s 2011 spring race meet, the official start of the Lexington track’s 75th anniversary celebration.

Keeneland will once again offer average daily purses of more than $600,000 for the 15-day meet, to be held April 8-29, ranking it as one of North America’s richest racing programs. Fifteen of the 16 stakes are graded, while half will be contested on the turf. At least one stakes will be held on 11 of the 15 race days, which features racing Wednesday through Sunday except Easter Sunday, April 24.

Headlining the meet will be four grade I events – the Toyota Blue Grass and Central Bank Ashland, premier preps for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), respectively; the Vinery Madison for older fillies and mares at seven furlongs on the main track, and the Maker’s Mark Mile for older horses on the turf.

“The racing world converges on Keeneland in the spring because they know this is where the best jockeys, trainers, and horses will be, and they want to compete at the highest level,” said director of racing W.B. Rogers Beasley.

Older Comments about Blue Grass Headlines Keeneland Meet...

Saratoga had it for years.
Each horse has its own tree to walk around in the paddock. Where else does one see this??
I meant horses when I said jockeys twice
I love Keeneland, no doubt my favorite track, at least for the day to day racing. Low takeout, the best jockeys, trainers and jockeys, along with fantastic fields in practically every race. In my opinion it leaves Saratoga in the dust, but I'm biased being from the Bluegrass state.