• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 1 day ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 1 day ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 1 day ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 1 day ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 1 day ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 7 days ago

Big Bane Theory Seeks Better Luck at SA

Big Bane Theory’s ninth-place finish in the Grade I Hollywood Derby was worse than it looked. Take it from Joe Talamo, who has ridden the 3-year-old son of grass champion Artie Schiller in each of his four starts, winning two.

“I’m surprised he didn’t fall,” said the 22-year-old Talamo, fresh from winning Santa Anita’s Autumn Meet riding title with 37 victories. “I was following a horse—I don’t even know what horse it was—and he clipped heels in front of me and I almost ran right over him.

“My horse definitely didn’t have that good of a trip, especially down the lane. The race before (an allowance win at 1 1/8 miles on the grass) he ran an unbelievable race. We really thought a lot of him to run him in the Hollywood Derby, but you can just toss that race out.”

The field for the Sir Beaufort: Fit to Rule, Edwin Maldonado; Press Baron, Victor Espinoza; Smart Ellis, Julien Leparoux; Big Bane Theory, Joe Talamo; Midnight Crooner, Martin Garcia; Conspiracy, Garrett Gomez; Battle Force, Mike Smith; and Silentio, Rafael Bejarano.