• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 8 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Big Bane Theory Seeks Better Luck at SA

Big Bane Theory’s ninth-place finish in the Grade I Hollywood Derby was worse than it looked. Take it from Joe Talamo, who has ridden the 3-year-old son of grass champion Artie Schiller in each of his four starts, winning two.

“I’m surprised he didn’t fall,” said the 22-year-old Talamo, fresh from winning Santa Anita’s Autumn Meet riding title with 37 victories. “I was following a horse—I don’t even know what horse it was—and he clipped heels in front of me and I almost ran right over him.

“My horse definitely didn’t have that good of a trip, especially down the lane. The race before (an allowance win at 1 1/8 miles on the grass) he ran an unbelievable race. We really thought a lot of him to run him in the Hollywood Derby, but you can just toss that race out.”

The field for the Sir Beaufort: Fit to Rule, Edwin Maldonado; Press Baron, Victor Espinoza; Smart Ellis, Julien Leparoux; Big Bane Theory, Joe Talamo; Midnight Crooner, Martin Garcia; Conspiracy, Garrett Gomez; Battle Force, Mike Smith; and Silentio, Rafael Bejarano.