• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 1 day ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 1 day ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 2 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 3 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 4 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 4 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 4 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Belmont Beyond the Backstretch, Part 1

During my first few days at Belmont Park I spent a lot of time just exploring. For those of you who haven't visited the backstretch here, for every barn there is an assigned cottage or two. Mostly they are used as trainers' offices. Some of them are used as dorm rooms for backstretch employees. One morning I peered through the paned windows of a padlocked cottage and discovered this treasure trove. The structure houses what looks to be an old farrier's shop with tools and kiln left to collect dust.

I have no idea who once worked in this cottage, and have yet to find someone who can tell me. Did Belmont have its own "house farrier"? Was it rented out to one of the regular blacksmiths that work here? Maybe the cottage was assigned to a trainer who was also skilled as a farrier and liked to do his own shoeing?

Maybe it isn't even an old farrier's shop--maybe a leathersmith worked there making tack. I'll admit I'm not at all familiar with the all of uses for all of the visible tools.

So what it comes down to is that I haven't the faintest idea of who once worked here or what they did, but I'm asking around. If you know anything about this workshop, I welcome you to share it in a comment. In the meantime, I'll keep you posted on what I learn.

Older Comments about Belmont Beyond the Backstretch, Part 1...

Last race track to run clockwise
There are so many interesting looking buildings on the BEL backstretch. Lots of history there.
  • MBPhipps · The barns themselves are historic too! It's really neat to get to explore back here!! · 1813 days ago
I was amazed to see the change in lay out from the 1965 reconstruction. They used to have a diagonal chute from abour the area of the backstretch chute running dagonally directly TOWARD the fans...A sprint surface, Native Dancer broke a track record over it.