• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 2 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 2 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 3 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 8 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 9 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 10 days ago

Belmont Beyond the Backstretch, Part 1

During my first few days at Belmont Park I spent a lot of time just exploring. For those of you who haven't visited the backstretch here, for every barn there is an assigned cottage or two. Mostly they are used as trainers' offices. Some of them are used as dorm rooms for backstretch employees. One morning I peered through the paned windows of a padlocked cottage and discovered this treasure trove. The structure houses what looks to be an old farrier's shop with tools and kiln left to collect dust.

I have no idea who once worked in this cottage, and have yet to find someone who can tell me. Did Belmont have its own "house farrier"? Was it rented out to one of the regular blacksmiths that work here? Maybe the cottage was assigned to a trainer who was also skilled as a farrier and liked to do his own shoeing?

Maybe it isn't even an old farrier's shop--maybe a leathersmith worked there making tack. I'll admit I'm not at all familiar with the all of uses for all of the visible tools.

So what it comes down to is that I haven't the faintest idea of who once worked here or what they did, but I'm asking around. If you know anything about this workshop, I welcome you to share it in a comment. In the meantime, I'll keep you posted on what I learn.

Older Comments about Belmont Beyond the Backstretch, Part 1...

Last race track to run clockwise
There are so many interesting looking buildings on the BEL backstretch. Lots of history there.
  • MBPhipps · The barns themselves are historic too! It's really neat to get to explore back here!! · 1399 days ago
I was amazed to see the change in lay out from the 1965 reconstruction. They used to have a diagonal chute from abour the area of the backstretch chute running dagonally directly TOWARD the fans...A sprint surface, Native Dancer broke a track record over it.