• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 1 day ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 1 day ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 1 day ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 1 day ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 1 day ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 7 days ago

Belmont Beyond the Backstretch, Part 1

During my first few days at Belmont Park I spent a lot of time just exploring. For those of you who haven't visited the backstretch here, for every barn there is an assigned cottage or two. Mostly they are used as trainers' offices. Some of them are used as dorm rooms for backstretch employees. One morning I peered through the paned windows of a padlocked cottage and discovered this treasure trove. The structure houses what looks to be an old farrier's shop with tools and kiln left to collect dust.

I have no idea who once worked in this cottage, and have yet to find someone who can tell me. Did Belmont have its own "house farrier"? Was it rented out to one of the regular blacksmiths that work here? Maybe the cottage was assigned to a trainer who was also skilled as a farrier and liked to do his own shoeing?

Maybe it isn't even an old farrier's shop--maybe a leathersmith worked there making tack. I'll admit I'm not at all familiar with the all of uses for all of the visible tools.

So what it comes down to is that I haven't the faintest idea of who once worked here or what they did, but I'm asking around. If you know anything about this workshop, I welcome you to share it in a comment. In the meantime, I'll keep you posted on what I learn.

Older Comments about Belmont Beyond the Backstretch, Part 1...

Last race track to run clockwise
There are so many interesting looking buildings on the BEL backstretch. Lots of history there.
  • MBPhipps · The barns themselves are historic too! It's really neat to get to explore back here!! · 1453 days ago
I was amazed to see the change in lay out from the 1965 reconstruction. They used to have a diagonal chute from abour the area of the backstretch chute running dagonally directly TOWARD the fans...A sprint surface, Native Dancer broke a track record over it.