• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 1 day ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 1 day ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 1 day ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 1 day ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 1 day ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 7 days ago

Bejarano Pursues Another SoCal Riding Crown

Jockey Rafael Bejarano signs autographs the day before the Preakness
It’s still anybody’s race, but with eight days remaining in Santa Anita’s 24-day meet, Rafael Bejarano is on top of the jockey standings with a 17-15 lead over runner-up Edwin Maldonado, and Joe Talamo on their heels in third with 14 wins.

“(The late) Bobby Frankel gave me the opportunity to ride in Southern California, and I was prepared when I arrived,” Bejarano said. “He was putting me on all his horses and that made it easier for me. He opened the door for me in California.

“Some jockeys come here from out of town and it’s kind of hard if they don’t have a good trainer supporting them.”

Bejarano rides Heir Kitty for the first time in Saturday’s Grade III, $100,000 Autumn Miss Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at one mile on turf.

“In a case like this, I study the past performances and see how she’s been running before,” Bejarano said. “She’s already run once at a mile on the grass at Santa Anita (fifth by a length in the Blue Norther Stakes last January) and she waited for room at the 3/16 pole, so with better luck, she should improve this time.”