• If you bet A Lot in the Paradise Creek, then the winning margin was "a lot" more than the wagering return!Posted 10 hours ago
  • The Nassau goes to Sky Treasure!Posted 10 hours ago
  • Sunday Rules runs them off their feet in the Spring Fever to remain undefeated!Posted 10 hours ago
  • Xtra Luck gets his first stakes win in the Louisville Handicap!Posted 11 hours ago
  • Joe Bravo earned win #5,000 with a victory aboard Boss Man today at Monmouth Park.Posted 12 hours ago
  • There's no catching Black Hornet in the Vigil Stakes at Woodbine.Posted 6 days ago
  • American Pharoah romps home in the Preakness!Posted 7 days ago
  • Ironicus explodes to win the Dixie going away.Posted 7 days ago
  • Ageless best in The Very One again, this time with a course record.Posted 7 days ago
  • Holy Boss much the best in the six furlong Chick Lang.Posted 7 days ago

Bejarano Pursues Another SoCal Riding Crown

Jockey Rafael Bejarano signs autographs the day before the Preakness
It’s still anybody’s race, but with eight days remaining in Santa Anita’s 24-day meet, Rafael Bejarano is on top of the jockey standings with a 17-15 lead over runner-up Edwin Maldonado, and Joe Talamo on their heels in third with 14 wins.

“(The late) Bobby Frankel gave me the opportunity to ride in Southern California, and I was prepared when I arrived,” Bejarano said. “He was putting me on all his horses and that made it easier for me. He opened the door for me in California.

“Some jockeys come here from out of town and it’s kind of hard if they don’t have a good trainer supporting them.”

Bejarano rides Heir Kitty for the first time in Saturday’s Grade III, $100,000 Autumn Miss Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at one mile on turf.

“In a case like this, I study the past performances and see how she’s been running before,” Bejarano said. “She’s already run once at a mile on the grass at Santa Anita (fifth by a length in the Blue Norther Stakes last January) and she waited for room at the 3/16 pole, so with better luck, she should improve this time.”