• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 1 day ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 1 day ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 1 day ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 2 days ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 4 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 5 days ago

Beholder Stomps Rivals in Las Virgenes

The champ is back. Beholder, Eclipse Champion 2-year-old filly for 2012, made amends for an odds-on flop in the Grade II Santa Ynez Stakes on Jan. 21 with a powerful gate to wire win in Saturday’s Grade I Las Virgenes Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Santa Anita, winning by 3 ¾ lengths under Garrett Gomez while negotiating one mile in 1:36.14.

Trained by Richard Mandella and owned by B. Wayne Hughes’ Spendthrift Farm LLC, Beholder exited the Santa Ynez with what was diagnosed as a throat ulcer, which no doubt inhibited her breathing.

“It bothered her a lot,” said Mandella. “Imagine trying to run with a sore in your throat. Everything she did today was great. She’s a great filly. We’ll enjoy this today, but plans are for her to run next in the Santa Anita Oaks (Grade I, 1 1/16 miles, April 6).”

Breaking from post position five in an eight-horse field, Beholder, a Kentucky-bred daughter of Henny Hughes, established a one-length advantage into the Club House turn and remained clear through fractions of 23.78, 47.55, 1:11.19 and 1:23.39.

“It was a whole different feeling today,” said Gomez. “She did everything beautiful. She traveled beautifully, when I asked her to quicken, she quickened. I couldn’t have asked her to do anything better for me. She’s back!”

Beholder paid $3.60, $2.40 and $2.10. With the winner’s share of $150,000, last year’s Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies winner increased her earnings to $1,395,000 from a record of 7-4-2-0.

Runner-up Fiftyshadesofhay sat second to the winner throughout and was the only other horse in single digits, off at 9-5 under Rafael Bejarano.

“I tried to go to the lead, but the favorite just had so much speed,” said Bejarano. “She’s a nice horse and I did the best I could.”

Fiftyshadesofhay, who finished 1 ½ lengths in front of Scarlet Strike, paid $2.80 and $2.40.

Off at 12-1, Scarlet Strike, ridden by Mike Smith, had two horses beat going into the first turn and rallied from next to last leaving the half mile pole to finish third, three quarters of a length in front of Heir Kitty and Julien Leparoux.

“I had a great trip,” said Smith. “No excuses. I was hoping for a little more pace up front, but other than that, she ran extremely well.”

Scarlet Strike paid $3.20 to show.

Both Mandella and Gomez picked up their second career wins in the Las Virgenes, which was run for the 31st time.

Run as Saturday’s sixth race, the Las Virgenes is the first of three Grade I offerings at Santa Anita, with the Frank E. Kilroe Mile (turf) carded as the ninth and the Santa Anita Handicap slotted as the 10th.

Older Comments about Beholder Stomps Rivals in Las Virgenes...

Can you say Kentucky Oaks? I can
Richard Mandella reports that champion Beholder was in good shape Sunday morning following her impressive front-running romp in the Grade I Las Virgenes Stakes yesterday and it’s on to the Santa Anita Oaks on April 6.
Best active filly. I look for this girl to do big things
Looks like she got what she needed out of the Santa Ynez