• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 4 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 5 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 5 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 9 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 11 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 12 days ago

Baffert Content With Paynter's San Diego Effort

Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert was content with Paynter’s effort in the San Diego and mystified by Liaison, his other starter in the race.

“Paynter ran a great race,” Baffert said. “I can’t be disappointed. He ran hard the whole way and never gave it up. I don’t think he liked the track that much but he’s such a great horse he kept trying all the way.”

It was the second start in a comeback from a near-fatal illness for Paynter. The 4-year-old colt was so keyed up to run that it took two handlers all they could do to keep him in control in the paddock before the race, but he appeared to settle down when jockey Rafael Bejarano mounted up for the race..

“He was quiet all the way over, but then he saw the crowd in the paddock and it freaked him out,” Baffert said. “I think he was a bit too fresh.”

Liaison finished fifth of six.

“We were disappointed in Liaison. I thought he’d run a big race. He made a little move along the backstretch, but at the three-eighths pole he was done. I don’t know what happened with him, I’ve got to figure it out.”

Baffert said he would keep an open mind about a next race for Paynter. When asked specifically if the TVG Pacific Classic was still under consideration, Baffert said:

“I won’t know that for another couple of weeks.”