• There's no catching Si Sage in the Grade 2 Charles Whittingham Stakes at Santa Anita.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Lexie Lou returns to her winning ways in today's Grade 2 Nassau Stakes.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Enola Gray takes the Melair gate to wire.Posted 1 day ago
  • Surgical Strike charges on the outside to win the Arlington Classic (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Diva Express and I'm a Looker make a dead heat run in the Winning Colors (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Flipcup game in Arlington Matron (G3) victory.Posted 1 day ago
  • In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 6 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 7 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 8 days ago

Baffert Content With Paynter's San Diego Effort

Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert was content with Paynter’s effort in the San Diego and mystified by Liaison, his other starter in the race.

“Paynter ran a great race,” Baffert said. “I can’t be disappointed. He ran hard the whole way and never gave it up. I don’t think he liked the track that much but he’s such a great horse he kept trying all the way.”

It was the second start in a comeback from a near-fatal illness for Paynter. The 4-year-old colt was so keyed up to run that it took two handlers all they could do to keep him in control in the paddock before the race, but he appeared to settle down when jockey Rafael Bejarano mounted up for the race..

“He was quiet all the way over, but then he saw the crowd in the paddock and it freaked him out,” Baffert said. “I think he was a bit too fresh.”

Liaison finished fifth of six.

“We were disappointed in Liaison. I thought he’d run a big race. He made a little move along the backstretch, but at the three-eighths pole he was done. I don’t know what happened with him, I’ve got to figure it out.”

Baffert said he would keep an open mind about a next race for Paynter. When asked specifically if the TVG Pacific Classic was still under consideration, Baffert said:

“I won’t know that for another couple of weeks.”