• The longest shot Zakaroff (45-1) rallies to upset the El Camino Real Derby (G3) at Golden Gate Fields.Posted 1 day ago
  • Stonestreet's Terra Promessa (1-2) blitzes the field in the Bayakoa (G3) at Oaklawn Park.Posted 1 day ago
  • Imperial Hint (5-2) takes the General George (G3) at Laurel. Posted 1 day ago
  • High Ridge Road (3-1) runs them down to take the Barbara Fritchie (G2) at Laurel.Posted 1 day ago
  • Curlin's Approval (4-5) dominates in the Royal Delta.Posted 1 day ago
  • Multiple graded stakes winner, Alsvid, has been retired from racing.Posted 4 days ago
  • In her 2017 debut, Winx was sensational again, raising her winning streak to 14.Posted 6 days ago
  • Iliad (2-1) much the best in the San Vicente Stakes.Posted 7 days ago
  • Chanel's Legacy (13-1) pulls off the upset in the Martha Washington Stakes.Posted 8 days ago
  • Bolo (6-1) surges late to win the Arcadia for a second straight year.Posted 8 days ago

Avare Steals Soggy Eddie Logan Stakes

Saturday’s $75,000 Eddie Logan Stakes, for 2-year-olds at one mile and named for Santa Anita’s beloved late shoeshine attendant, was reduced from a field of 10 to five horses due to a shift in surface from the turf to one mile on the main track.

Avare, owned in part by University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, and trained by Doug O’Neill, relished the wet-fast going and scored a dominate gate to wire victory, winning by 4 ¼ lengths in 1:36.39 after carving out fractions of 23.50, 47.44, 1:11.26 and 1:23.89.

“We were actually glad when the race came off the grass,” said assistant trainer Dennis O’Neill. “Coach Pitino (who races as RAP Racing) owns a majority interest in him and he’s in Kentucky today (coaching the Cardinals to victory over the University of Kentucky), trying to find out how he did. This is a nice horse and we think he’ll run a long way.”

Just how far, is an oft-asked question this time of year.

“The late 2-year-old, early 3-year-old picture changes so much so we’re keeping all our options open,” said Doug O’Neill. “It’s still just a five-horse field victory but this game is part dreaming, so we’ll dream a little bit.”

The second choice at 5-2, Avare and Bejarano broke from post position four and paid $7.60, $3.60 and $2.80.

“I knew I had to try to send him because I knew the eight (even-money favorite Gabriel Charles) wanted to get to the lead,” said Bejarano. “I knew I had to take the chance. Once he got the lead, I got him to relax and when we hit the stretch, he was off. I worked him two or three times before the race and he was just amazing. I think he loves the distance and I think he could get a mile and a quarter.”

Also owned by Jeff Bloom and Michael Shustek’s Majestic Racing Stable, LLC, Avare, a Kentucky-bred son of Johannesburg, picked up $46,500 for the win, boosting his earnings to $78,900 from a record of 4-2-0-0.

Gabriel Charles, ridden by Joe Talamo, never threatened the winner while second-best, finishing 4 ¼ lengths in front of Will True Up and Edwin Maldonado.

“We had a perfect trip,” said Talamo. “I was lying second to the winner the whole way, but we were just second best today.”

Gabriel Charles paid $2.80 and $2.40.

Will True Up, off at 5-1, paid $3.00 to show.