• 2-time Arc winner Treve is an impressive winner in her seasonal debut today at Saint-Cloud.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Majestic City fights off Carve to win the Lone Star Handicap.Posted 4 days ago
  • Hard Not To Like skims the rail to score in the Grade 1 Gamely.Posted 4 days ago
  • Street Story proves best in a sloppy edition of the Winning Colors.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lubash blows by his competition late to win the Kingston.Posted 4 days ago
  • Distinctiv Passion just holds off favored San Onofre in the Los Angeles.Posted 4 days ago
  • Quezon rolls up late to score in the Bouwerie.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ostrolenka sharp in victory in Belmont's Mike Lee.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ashleyluvssugar gets the job done as the Charles Whittingham favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Pleascach holds off Found in the Irish 1,000 Guineas.Posted 5 days ago

Avare Steals Soggy Eddie Logan Stakes

Saturday’s $75,000 Eddie Logan Stakes, for 2-year-olds at one mile and named for Santa Anita’s beloved late shoeshine attendant, was reduced from a field of 10 to five horses due to a shift in surface from the turf to one mile on the main track.

Avare, owned in part by University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, and trained by Doug O’Neill, relished the wet-fast going and scored a dominate gate to wire victory, winning by 4 ¼ lengths in 1:36.39 after carving out fractions of 23.50, 47.44, 1:11.26 and 1:23.89.

“We were actually glad when the race came off the grass,” said assistant trainer Dennis O’Neill. “Coach Pitino (who races as RAP Racing) owns a majority interest in him and he’s in Kentucky today (coaching the Cardinals to victory over the University of Kentucky), trying to find out how he did. This is a nice horse and we think he’ll run a long way.”

Just how far, is an oft-asked question this time of year.

“The late 2-year-old, early 3-year-old picture changes so much so we’re keeping all our options open,” said Doug O’Neill. “It’s still just a five-horse field victory but this game is part dreaming, so we’ll dream a little bit.”

The second choice at 5-2, Avare and Bejarano broke from post position four and paid $7.60, $3.60 and $2.80.

“I knew I had to try to send him because I knew the eight (even-money favorite Gabriel Charles) wanted to get to the lead,” said Bejarano. “I knew I had to take the chance. Once he got the lead, I got him to relax and when we hit the stretch, he was off. I worked him two or three times before the race and he was just amazing. I think he loves the distance and I think he could get a mile and a quarter.”

Also owned by Jeff Bloom and Michael Shustek’s Majestic Racing Stable, LLC, Avare, a Kentucky-bred son of Johannesburg, picked up $46,500 for the win, boosting his earnings to $78,900 from a record of 4-2-0-0.

Gabriel Charles, ridden by Joe Talamo, never threatened the winner while second-best, finishing 4 ¼ lengths in front of Will True Up and Edwin Maldonado.

“We had a perfect trip,” said Talamo. “I was lying second to the winner the whole way, but we were just second best today.”

Gabriel Charles paid $2.80 and $2.40.

Will True Up, off at 5-1, paid $3.00 to show.