• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Avare Steals Soggy Eddie Logan Stakes

Saturday’s $75,000 Eddie Logan Stakes, for 2-year-olds at one mile and named for Santa Anita’s beloved late shoeshine attendant, was reduced from a field of 10 to five horses due to a shift in surface from the turf to one mile on the main track.

Avare, owned in part by University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino, and trained by Doug O’Neill, relished the wet-fast going and scored a dominate gate to wire victory, winning by 4 ¼ lengths in 1:36.39 after carving out fractions of 23.50, 47.44, 1:11.26 and 1:23.89.

“We were actually glad when the race came off the grass,” said assistant trainer Dennis O’Neill. “Coach Pitino (who races as RAP Racing) owns a majority interest in him and he’s in Kentucky today (coaching the Cardinals to victory over the University of Kentucky), trying to find out how he did. This is a nice horse and we think he’ll run a long way.”

Just how far, is an oft-asked question this time of year.

“The late 2-year-old, early 3-year-old picture changes so much so we’re keeping all our options open,” said Doug O’Neill. “It’s still just a five-horse field victory but this game is part dreaming, so we’ll dream a little bit.”

The second choice at 5-2, Avare and Bejarano broke from post position four and paid $7.60, $3.60 and $2.80.

“I knew I had to try to send him because I knew the eight (even-money favorite Gabriel Charles) wanted to get to the lead,” said Bejarano. “I knew I had to take the chance. Once he got the lead, I got him to relax and when we hit the stretch, he was off. I worked him two or three times before the race and he was just amazing. I think he loves the distance and I think he could get a mile and a quarter.”

Also owned by Jeff Bloom and Michael Shustek’s Majestic Racing Stable, LLC, Avare, a Kentucky-bred son of Johannesburg, picked up $46,500 for the win, boosting his earnings to $78,900 from a record of 4-2-0-0.

Gabriel Charles, ridden by Joe Talamo, never threatened the winner while second-best, finishing 4 ¼ lengths in front of Will True Up and Edwin Maldonado.

“We had a perfect trip,” said Talamo. “I was lying second to the winner the whole way, but we were just second best today.”

Gabriel Charles paid $2.80 and $2.40.

Will True Up, off at 5-1, paid $3.00 to show.