• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 1 day ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 7 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 8 days ago

Ascanio Still Recovering from Stroke

Bobby Frankel and Humberto Ascanio were polar opposites in personality. Frankel was irascible, brash, blunt and confrontational. Ascanio is out of the Dale Carnegie school. Once when a reporter asked Frankel the name of an owner of one of his horses, he barked, “Gann!”

When a reporter lost his cell phone on the Hollywood Park backstretch one morning, Ascanio got up from his seat in the tack room, calmly walked a hundred yards to the nearest security guard, and asked in Spanish if he had seen a cell phone.

A short time later, the reporter had the phone.

Frankel died at the age of 68 on Nov. 16, 2009, leaving his assistant of more than three decades Ascanio to fend for himself. Ascanio, now 65, had modest success with a small string of horses of his own after Frankel’s passing, but has been recovering from a stroke since Dec. 30, 2011. It’s been a long climb back but Ascanio won’t fail for lack of effort.

“I lost movement on the right side of my body, so I had to disband my 12-horse stable,” Ascanio said by phone from his home in Arcadia. “Progress is slow, but I’m doing pretty good now. Thank God it’s not real bad. I’m doing therapy twice a week at my home.

“It’s been tough psychologically, but I’m going to fight it to try and get better. My goal is to get back to training. I miss everybody. I’ve spent all my life at the track and I want to return.”