• Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 35 minutes ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 4 hours ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 3 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mokat (7-1) turns the San Clemente into a one-filly show.Posted 3 days ago

Ascanio Still Recovering from Stroke

Bobby Frankel and Humberto Ascanio were polar opposites in personality. Frankel was irascible, brash, blunt and confrontational. Ascanio is out of the Dale Carnegie school. Once when a reporter asked Frankel the name of an owner of one of his horses, he barked, “Gann!”

When a reporter lost his cell phone on the Hollywood Park backstretch one morning, Ascanio got up from his seat in the tack room, calmly walked a hundred yards to the nearest security guard, and asked in Spanish if he had seen a cell phone.

A short time later, the reporter had the phone.

Frankel died at the age of 68 on Nov. 16, 2009, leaving his assistant of more than three decades Ascanio to fend for himself. Ascanio, now 65, had modest success with a small string of horses of his own after Frankel’s passing, but has been recovering from a stroke since Dec. 30, 2011. It’s been a long climb back but Ascanio won’t fail for lack of effort.

“I lost movement on the right side of my body, so I had to disband my 12-horse stable,” Ascanio said by phone from his home in Arcadia. “Progress is slow, but I’m doing pretty good now. Thank God it’s not real bad. I’m doing therapy twice a week at my home.

“It’s been tough psychologically, but I’m going to fight it to try and get better. My goal is to get back to training. I miss everybody. I’ve spent all my life at the track and I want to return.”