• In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 3 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 4 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 5 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 5 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 5 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 5 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 5 days ago

Are the Effects of the Santa Anita Time Trials Beginning to Show?

What a difference a day can make. Yesterday at this time, I was writing about the talent and accomplishments of Sidney’s Candy. Today he has been scratched from the San Fernando Stakes with soundness issues. It’s a shame. I truly believe him to be a unique talent. Hopefully with a little time, he will be back healthy, and as good as ever. In the meantime, I have to wonder about his unsoundness. My biggest question is how fast is too fast?

I am afraid that the new dirt track at Santa Anita may well be on the verge of displaying the answer. Twirling Candy ran 1:19.70 in winning the Malibu. Switch ran 120:33 in winning the La Brea. Sidney’s Candy ran 1:33.70 in winning the Sir Beaufort. Topnotch horses one and all, but are those times simply too fast? The answer is yes.

Too much strain is placed on the athlete when they run that fast and when they run on a track that allows them to run that fast.

Sidney’s Candy is now on the shelf. For how long is yet to be determined. Twirling Candy has not had a published workout since his track record. Switch has come back with one workout, and for good or for bad, it was fast.

These three grade 1 winners were not the only ones to blister the Santa Anita dirt course recently. For example, look at a couple of inexperienced and newly turned three-year-olds who broke their maidens recently in unreal times before turning leaving the age of two. The much talked about colt, The Factor, blazed six furlongs in an unheard of 1:06.98, while Rumor, a filly, broke her maiden slower, but just a little. Her maiden time of 1:07.97 is as fast as I have ever seen a juvenile filly run. It’s yet to be seen what effect running these times will have on their careers, but I know if I had a promising young juvenile, I would not want them to run on a surface this fast for very long.

Truth be told, I was for the replacement of the synthetic surface and the return to dirt. What I was not in favor of was the installation of an unsafe speedway.

Older Comments about Are the Effects of the Santa Anita Time Trials Beginning to Show?...

I love that they changed to dirt, but again if it is at the expense of the horses I don't want it. However, I wonder if the times are just an affect of the track being so new. Remember the times the Pro ride put up when it was first installed. Zenyatta, a closer ran a 1.46, by far her best time at 9 furlongs. Stardom Bound, again a closer ran 1.40.99 for 8.5 furlongs. Is that not to fast for a maiden to run too? It took months for that track to settle to where the times began to look more normal.
I'm glad you raised this question. I don't know enough to make an educated decision. I learn a lot from your blogs. With your help, I'm sure I'll come to a conclusion!
Another track record time today at the speedway.
trivia question : There is but a single RIGHT handed turn on any race course in North America. Where is it??
Bid at Anita Jan 5 1980 120 at 7 furlongs, Feb 3 1980 1:57 4/5 10 furlongs
Maybe 1:18 and change ish, don't you think? ;-)
I wonder what kind of time Spectacular Bid would have posted on Santa Anita's new dirt track?! :)