• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 2 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 2 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 2 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 3 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 3 days ago

Aqueduct: Alvarado Wins Four; Chavez Injured

Aqueduct: Alvarado Wins Four; Chavez Injured
Photo: NYRA/Adam Coglianese
Jockey Junior Alvarado won four races on Sunday’s card at Aqueduct Racetrack, completing the quad in the afternoon’s feature race, the $65,000 Damon Runyon for New York-bred 2-year-olds, aboard Swag Daddy.

In the Damon Runyon, Swag Daddy raced in last behind a tightly packed field, swung four-wide into the stretch and surged late to win by a head.

“He broke a little bit slow and I just tried to save ground the first part,” said Alvarado. “It was a long race, and I wanted to save ground, but at the same time, I had to go outside because they told me that the horse doesn’t like to be inside too much. By the half-mile pole, everybody was all packed right there and I had to wait a little bit longer to go back and then make a move. He could have won the race more easily if I’d had a better trip and a better position, but he still ran an unbelievable race.”

Swag Daddy, a son of Scat Daddy, returned $5.50 and completed a mile and 70 yards in 1:43.90, earning $39,000 for owner Eric Fein.

Alvarado also captured the Sunday opener aboard Hoopskirt ($4.10), Race 5 aboard Cass’ Lady ($6.60) and Race 7 aboard American Buffalo ($6.70).

In the nightcap, a 1 1/16-mile turf maiden race for New York-bred fillies and mares, jockey Jorge Chavez was unseated when his mount, Silver Mast, fell turning for home. Chavez was transported to North Shore University Hospital in stable condition complaining of left shoulder pain, according to NYRA First Aid. Silver Mast stood after the incident and was walked off the track.