• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 2 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 3 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 3 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 3 days ago

Apprentice VanDyke Has Big Name Behind Him

Hollywood Park logo.
Photo: Hollywood Park
For a brand new apprentice rider trying to break into the big time, it’s helpful to have some major league names behind him.

Drayden Van Dyke, 19 had his first ride Sunday at Betfair Hollywood Park, finishing sixth aboard Two Term Leader for Glen Hill Farm and trainer Tom Proctor.

“While he was in high school in Hot Springs, he came out to Churchill Downs every summer trying to get work,” said Proctor.  “After high school, I sent him to Florida to learn.  He’s out here now exercising horses for me.”

“The thing about this kid is that people like him,” pointed out Proctor.  “He’s got talent, but he’s humble.”

The usual butterflies accompanied the bug boy to the gate for the first time.

“I was a little nervous, but the experience was awesome,’’ said Van Dyke.  “Gary (Stevens) was in the jock’s room helping me with my goggles and silks.”

Van Dyke will make his second appearance in Thursday’s sixth race aboard the Proctor-trained Money Clip.   Stevens originally had been named on the 3-year-old maiden son of Aleet Alex.

Older Comments about Apprentice VanDyke Has Big Name Behind Him...

quote: Aw, I like how Gary's helping him out Laughing about that....One is running the other isn`t
Amino,it was his 2nd lifetime race.Did you see the race.The kid never rode the horse in the stretch,looked like he was holding on for dear life. Horse should get his winners fee also.
Aw, I like how Gary's helping him out!
Nice of Gary to let the kid have it. Of courses, it was his only mount of the day, but still :)
Was nice to see.
Just notched his first career win in his 2nd mount aboard Tom Proctor's Money Clip in today's 6th at BHP.