• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 1 day ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 1 day ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 2 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Animal Kingdom Completes BC Mile Preparations

Animal Kingdom wins on the Gulfstream Turf

Team Valor International’s Animal Kingdom completed his major training for the $2 million Breeders’ Cup Mile (G1) by working five furlongs in 1:02.60 around the dogs on a firm turf course Friday morning at Keeneland.

With exercise rider David Nava up and working in company with 4-year-old stablemate Badleroibrown, Animal Kingdom began the work about three lengths in back of his workmate, closed to within a length at the three-eighths pole, drew even at the quarter pole and finished about a length in front. Fractions were :12, :25.20, :38.60, :50.80 and out six furlongs in 1:16.20.

Trainer Graham Motion was pleased with the work by the 2011 Kentucky Derby (G1) winner, who will leave for Southern California on Saturday.

“I thought it was a sensible work and he galloped out strong,” Motion said. “I did not want a hard work today as he had his serious work last week (six furlongs in 1:13 on October 18 at Fair Hill, Md.).”

Rafael Bejarano will ride Animal Kingdom for the first time in the Breeders’ Cup Mile, scheduled for November 3.

“He will gallop up to the race and we may school him one day,” Motion said, noting that Bejarano would not be aboard any morning prior to the race.

Motion also will send Augustin Stables’ Kitten’s Point to Santa Anita for the $1 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (G1) on November 2. Second in the JPMorgan Chase Jessamine (G3) on October 11 in her most recent start, Kitten’s Point schooled at the gate this morning as part of her morning activity.

Bejarano will have the mount on Kitten’s Point, by Kitten’s Joy.

Older Comments about Animal Kingdom Completes BC Mile Preparations...

Will be interesting to see how Excelebration like a two turn mile, rock hard turf track and travel all the way to CA - not to mention if Hurricane Sandy messes with any travel sceduling.
I will say, if I can get excelebration at the 5/1 I would be shocked. I think 8/5 on Dan and 2/1 on Excel. At 5/1 I would be forced to lay a nice win bet on him.
I would still take the 8-1 odds on AK, never been steered wrong by him
If Wise Dan and Excelebration make the field and with quality west coast based runners I think you'll still get double digits on AK.
I really like Animal Kingdom and wish him only safe trips, but, what looked like a decent longshot play has suddenly gotten me concerned. With every comment I read, It would seem that Animal Kingdom could be bet wayyyyy down. Me not likey. Longshot of double digit odds is one thing, third or fourth choice at 6 to 8-1 I can't use him on top.
Animal Kingdom looked relaxed, fit and happy in the final piece of work. Now let's hope for safe travels an a safe trip during the race.