Jim T. from central Texas is no stranger to winning DerbyWars games. The player known as "taytay" has made a habit of taking down $5,000 High Stakes games with tracks from Del Mar to Aqueduct. We got the scoop on his method after his latest High Stakes score on Sunday.
7 Secrets to Winning High Stakes Games
1) Eliminate All Distractions - Sooner or later everybody gets their lunch handed to them in this game, so for me, it is important to stick to my guns and eliminate all outside noise (TV commentary, track feeds, chat, etc…). Believe me, I can pick my fair share of non-winners without any help. I don’t need any outside noise influencing my efforts.
2) Always Double-Check Your Selections - I have to often check myself and re-evaluate my selections as I have learned that this format is not always about being the best handicapper. I started out the High Stakes Game picking winners in the first 2 races, each ringing the bell around 5-1.
3) Know Your Rivals - Observing what and why the other top players choose and say is very educational to me and often critical to my future strategy. Sophia (who schools me regularly) hit the 2nd, 3rd and 4th races – the fourth being worth $29.00. In the last race I could not choose 25% of the field and expect to win based on current odds. I took Sophia into account - I had to pick one that she did not (if possible).
4) Check Your Pride at the Door - My best value play of the day was Warren’s Joe T in Hollywood’s 2nd at double digit odds. I think I was the only player on that horse. He was live, ran huge... and got blocked in the stretch, finishing 3rd. I thought I was toast after that as Sophia maintained her prowess winning or placing in the 5th, 6th and 7th.
5) Find Value at the Right Time - I found myself in jeopardy of falling by the wayside and really needed a winner to stay in it. I scored in the 6th with Cheyenne Nation, which won that race through conditional eligibility, in my opinion. Cheyenne Nation paid $10.20 to win.
6) Never Underestimate the Jockey - I missed the 3rd race and was kicking myself as the world’s best jockey, Joel Rosario, scored at around 9-2. The last race, I had to pick one that would win with high enough odds to get me where I wanted to go. When I studied the field there was not much data as most had not run before and workouts are always so trainer specific - Thank you Rafael Bejarano!
7) From Tiny Acorns Mighty Oaks Grow - I got into the qualifying game with a token that cost me $12. There are not too many places that I am aware of where one can parlay $12 into $4,000. Qualifiers really make a huge difference when it comes to overall ROI.
Put these 7 Secrets into action today - Sign Up Now for DerbyWars! There's a $5,000 High Stakes Qualifier today - get in the game!