• Enola Gray remains undefeated in 3 starts after running away with the Fleet Treat.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Heavily favored Enola Gray makes short work of her competition in the Fleet Treat.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Ancient Secret takes the Lake George (G2).Posted 11 hours ago
  • Sweet Loretta the strong winner of the Schuylerville (G3).Posted 12 hours ago
  • Pretty N Cool flaunts her class in the C.E.R.F. Stakes at Del Mar.Posted 2 days ago
  • Superstar turf horse, Postponed will not defend in Saturday's King George due to respiratory infection.Posted 2 days ago
  • Midnight Storm proves too tough to pass in the Grade 2 Eddie Read.Posted 5 days ago
  • Barleysugar (10-1) makes short work of the Sandy Blue in her U.S. debut.Posted 5 days ago
  • Miss Freeze (8-1) ices her competition with a debut win in the Lynbrook Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • There's no catching Midnight Miley (27-1) in the Ontario Matron.Posted 5 days ago

2013 Kentucky Derby Workout Report April 27

With the Derby/Oaks preps heating up I decided to churn out my own workout on the treadmill.  As I was running in place, like many of the horses I bet on do, I realized I had just finished two complete days of morning drills at Churchill.  I have not google searched yet but I'm confident successful completion of these two days makes me a certified clocking expert.  I'm sure my diploma is in the mail.

The track felt and sounded a bit faster this morning.  I'm not saying I could of breezed 36.00 for three furlongs but I'm sure I could have logged a 38.40 driving.

VERRAZANO, the morning line favorite, turned in an anxiously awaited drill for low profile trainer Todd Pletcher.  I took him a sixteenth further than officially given (5.5 furlongs in 1:06.20 and galloping out in 1:19.40).  Interior fractions of 23.60, 59.60, galloping out six in 1:12.80.  He sat off the flank of company Authenticity.  He was relatively relaxed.  Into the bit and ready to go but not overly aggressive.  Down the stretch it was clear he was loaded.  Razor sharp move.  I'm not sure what I learned.  I know he is super talented with googles of upside.  What I don't know is whether he will turn off if put in an uncomfortable position early in the race.  I guess you can say that about several horses in the race.  So to repeat, the drill was quite impressive.

PALACE MALICE fans would be very pleased with the practice round put in  by the son of Curlin.  He broke running which put him one up on Overanalyze when the official clocking started.  My clock read 47.20 with the duo hitting the wire right together.  Palace inside.  I got the strong feeling b/c of body language that Palace always had more fuel in the tank.  Strong gallop out for both 1:00.20, 1:13.80.  Again, Palace appearing to be more at ease.  Addition of blinkers led to an enjoyable result.

WARNING:  Shameless plug in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1.  I will be producing a full card scouting report for Derby day.  The report will include workout notes on all Derby horses I have seen over the track plus any horse I have seen on the undercard over the last couple days.  It will also include pertinent trip notes and hopefully some powerful gallopers as well.

Please follow me on twitter @ClockerDH.  I have learned that self esteem is based on the number of followers you acquire and I really want to get to #10.  I will try and tweet something of value from time to time and leave out what I am eating for breakfast.

~Written by Donald Harris