• There's no catching Si Sage in the Grade 2 Charles Whittingham Stakes at Santa Anita.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Lexie Lou returns to her winning ways in today's Grade 2 Nassau Stakes.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Enola Gray takes the Melair gate to wire.Posted 1 day ago
  • Surgical Strike charges on the outside to win the Arlington Classic (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Diva Express and I'm a Looker make a dead heat run in the Winning Colors (G3).Posted 1 day ago
  • Flipcup game in Arlington Matron (G3) victory.Posted 1 day ago
  • In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 6 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 7 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 8 days ago

2012 Breeders' Cup: As Seen by the Camera Lens

Brian Hernandez Fort Larned
Photo: Don August / Horse Racing Nation

Putting my final thoughts on paper about my experience at the Breeders’ Cup was pretty hard.

Words would really not do it justice. Did I enjoy it? Very much so. Was it easy to cover? Not at all.

My photo credentials allowed me on the track for the running of every race. Being trackside was exciting. Taking that photo to remember was a task; it wasn‘t easy. I had to battle my fellow photographers for elbow room, push and shove to get into my assigned spot and bob and weave like a boxer to make sure nobody stuck their lens in my view at that pivotal moment.

Ok, maybe it wasn’t quite that bad, but it was a challenge as everybody seemed to want to get closer to the finish line as each race ended.

I shot 1,244 pictures and when I looked back on them I liked 1,230 of them (everybody takes a few bad shots). When picking out the ones to post on this video blog, I decided to go with all the winners and their jockeys. I mean after all, they are the ones that will all be remembered. In fact, some of them currently are, and others will be, in the Hall of Fame.

Older Comments about 2012 Breeders' Cup: As Seen by the Camera Lens...

Stunning! As good as being there ... Phenomenal work, Don!
Great job, Don. These pictures are great!! I love the song choice too.
great job brother
Well done !! Cheers from Montevideo - Uruguay .
Great stuff! Very well done. Thank you!
That's really cool, Don!
Fantastic job, keep up the good work!
Great stuff, Don! More great work from Horse Racing Nation. I really enjoyed meeting you and working with you this weekend!
Great photos. I agree with darlene about Martin Schwartz' celebration of Zagora's win.
the photos are so very good and it would be hard to pick a favorite of a horse or a jock I am a fan of many But even before I saw all the photos I fell in love with the first I saw Owner Martin Schwartz His excitement contagious and how many felt cheering "their" horse home Thanks
Awesome! Very appropriate song choice too! Loved it!