• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

2012 Breeders' Cup: As Seen by the Camera Lens

Brian Hernandez Fort Larned
Photo: Don August / Horse Racing Nation

Putting my final thoughts on paper about my experience at the Breeders’ Cup was pretty hard.

Words would really not do it justice. Did I enjoy it? Very much so. Was it easy to cover? Not at all.

My photo credentials allowed me on the track for the running of every race. Being trackside was exciting. Taking that photo to remember was a task; it wasn‘t easy. I had to battle my fellow photographers for elbow room, push and shove to get into my assigned spot and bob and weave like a boxer to make sure nobody stuck their lens in my view at that pivotal moment.

Ok, maybe it wasn’t quite that bad, but it was a challenge as everybody seemed to want to get closer to the finish line as each race ended.

I shot 1,244 pictures and when I looked back on them I liked 1,230 of them (everybody takes a few bad shots). When picking out the ones to post on this video blog, I decided to go with all the winners and their jockeys. I mean after all, they are the ones that will all be remembered. In fact, some of them currently are, and others will be, in the Hall of Fame.

Older Comments about 2012 Breeders' Cup: As Seen by the Camera Lens...

Stunning! As good as being there ... Phenomenal work, Don!
Great job, Don. These pictures are great!! I love the song choice too.
great job brother
Well done !! Cheers from Montevideo - Uruguay .
Great stuff! Very well done. Thank you!
That's really cool, Don!
Fantastic job, keep up the good work!
Great stuff, Don! More great work from Horse Racing Nation. I really enjoyed meeting you and working with you this weekend!
Great photos. I agree with darlene about Martin Schwartz' celebration of Zagora's win.
the photos are so very good and it would be hard to pick a favorite of a horse or a jock I am a fan of many But even before I saw all the photos I fell in love with the first I saw Owner Martin Schwartz His excitement contagious and how many felt cheering "their" horse home Thanks
Awesome! Very appropriate song choice too! Loved it!