• The Great War is off the Derby trail following poor finish in the BattagliaPosted 22 hours ago
  •  Royal Son scores in the John Battaglia Memorial.Posted 1 day ago
  • Stellar Wind an impressive winner of the Santa Ysabel. Posted 1 day ago
  • Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 7 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 7 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 7 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 8 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 8 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 8 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 8 days ago

2011 Kentucky Derby Top 10 - Sept 22

I am getting an early start in my first in a series of blogs devoted to 2011 Kentucky Derby hopefuls. There will be many twists and turns in the coming weeks and months, and the majority of horses on this initial list will almost certainly fall by the wayside.

For my 2010 Derby list, I posted my Top 10 contenders along with five honorable mentions. I will mix it up a bit this time around. In addition to my normal Top 10 I will include the top five fillies.

My list below is based on a combination of promise shown and distance breeding. Boys At Tosconova and J P’s Gusto are the early bloomers but neither has a strong route pedigree. They will both be part of my list but will not occupy the top three spots...