• Lady Shipman sets a new track record in the OBS Sprint Stakes (Fillies). Posted 3 days ago
  • Constitution covers 5F in 1:00 1/5 , fastest of 7 at Palm BeachPosted 4 days ago
  • Pure Tactics score down the hill in the Clocker's Corner. Posted 5 days ago
  • California Chrome breezes a mile in 1:41 2/5 at Los AlPosted 5 days ago
  • El Kabeir worked 5F at Belmont in 1:01.59 (2/19)Posted 5 days ago
  • Cassatt hangs on to win the Houston Ladies Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Alert Bay skims the rail to win the California Cup Turf Classic. Posted 6 days ago
  • Mischief Clem edges Pulmarack in the California Cup Derby. Posted 6 days ago
  • Birdatthewire rolls to a powerful victory in the Forward Gal. Posted 6 days ago
  • Singing Kitty proves best in the California Cup Oaks. Posted 6 days ago

2011 Kentucky Derby Top 10 - Sept 22

I am getting an early start in my first in a series of blogs devoted to 2011 Kentucky Derby hopefuls. There will be many twists and turns in the coming weeks and months, and the majority of horses on this initial list will almost certainly fall by the wayside.

For my 2010 Derby list, I posted my Top 10 contenders along with five honorable mentions. I will mix it up a bit this time around. In addition to my normal Top 10 I will include the top five fillies.

My list below is based on a combination of promise shown and distance breeding. Boys At Tosconova and J P’s Gusto are the early bloomers but neither has a strong route pedigree. They will both be part of my list but will not occupy the top three spots...