• Unique Bella is off the Kentucky Oaks trail with a sore shin, per Steve Anderson.Posted 2 days ago
  • Hence (10-1) rallies to win the Sunland Park Derby going away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Ghalia (2-1) edges a game Kell Paso in the Sunland Park Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Itsinthepost (6-1) drives home the win in the Grade 2 San Luis Rey.Posted 5 days ago
  • Fear the Cowboy (7-2) comes running late to capture the Grade 3 Skip Away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Fast and Accurate (24-1) bursts through to upset the Grade 3 Spiral.Posted 5 days ago
  • Purely a Dream (12-1) pulls ahead in the stretch to take the Grade 3 Bourbonette Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • Arrogate, despite a dreadful break, wins the Dubai World Cup easily.Posted 5 days ago
  • Jack Hobbs is much the best in the Sheema Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Vivlos flies late to get up for the win in the $6 million Dubai Turf.Posted 5 days ago

2011 Kentucky Derby Top 10 - Sept 22

I am getting an early start in my first in a series of blogs devoted to 2011 Kentucky Derby hopefuls. There will be many twists and turns in the coming weeks and months, and the majority of horses on this initial list will almost certainly fall by the wayside.

For my 2010 Derby list, I posted my Top 10 contenders along with five honorable mentions. I will mix it up a bit this time around. In addition to my normal Top 10 I will include the top five fillies.

My list below is based on a combination of promise shown and distance breeding. Boys At Tosconova and J P’s Gusto are the early bloomers but neither has a strong route pedigree. They will both be part of my list but will not occupy the top three spots...