• Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 1 day ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 2 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 2 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 2 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 2 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 2 days ago
  • Awtaad upsets Galileo Gold to win the Irish 2000 Guineas.Posted 2 days ago

2011 Kentucky Derby Top 10 - Sept 22

I am getting an early start in my first in a series of blogs devoted to 2011 Kentucky Derby hopefuls. There will be many twists and turns in the coming weeks and months, and the majority of horses on this initial list will almost certainly fall by the wayside.

For my 2010 Derby list, I posted my Top 10 contenders along with five honorable mentions. I will mix it up a bit this time around. In addition to my normal Top 10 I will include the top five fillies.

My list below is based on a combination of promise shown and distance breeding. Boys At Tosconova and J P’s Gusto are the early bloomers but neither has a strong route pedigree. They will both be part of my list but will not occupy the top three spots...