• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 3 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 4 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 8 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 10 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 11 days ago

11 Reasons We'll Miss I'll Have Another

i'll Have Another wins the 2012 Kentucky Derby
With I'll Have Another making his final racetrack trip today in a farewell ceremony before the 144th Belmont Stakes, it's hard to believe that a scant 5 weeks ago he was a no-hope #19 going to post in the Kentucky Derby, despite having won the Santa Anita Derby over the more highly regarded Creative Cause. His strong run down the Churchill stretch to collar Bodemeister kicked off a magical Triple Crown season that sadly ends in disappointment once again. Unlike Smarty Jones, Big Brown, War Emblem or Funny Cide, who went down to defeat in the Belmont, the tragedy of I'll Have Another is that he never got the chance to even try the Test of the Champion. The tyranny of "What If?" will follow him the rest of his days, and racing fans won't soon forget the way we felt the day he was suddenly retired, only 24 hours before his legend-making run.

So here on this beautiful Belmont day, are the reasons why we'll miss I'll Have Another. Best of luck, boy - it was a helluva run!

I'll Have Another Kentucky Derby

I'll Have Another

I'll Have Another

I'll Have Another

I'll Have Another and Lava Man

I'll Have Another

I'll Have Another

I'll Have Another

I'll Have Another

I'll Have Another

Oh, what might have been...

I'll Have Another

-- Candice Curtis

All Photos by Eclipse Sportswire

Older Comments about 11 Reasons We'll Miss I'll Have Another...

Thanks for posting these pics...They are beautiful!
Thank-you Candice a fitting tribute to the horse who brought back the dream, really couldn't have been more beautiful.
Yep, gonna miss him!
beautiful - thank you. I love the one of him in the stall. And the one from yesterday (2nd last?) is breath-taking.