The Breeders' Cup has come and gone, and as usual it did not disappoint. Over the next several days, I will have much to say about my experience at beautiful Santa Anita, as well as, my take on the extraordinary equine performances I witnessed, but as I face a long travel day, I would just like to share with you my final submission for the NTRA Top 10 poll. I expect my choices should spur on a good amount of healthy discussion...
1) Wise Dan - The best horse in America; there should be no doubt.
2) Fort Larned - The Classic winner came so far this year.
3) Groupie Doll - The best sprinter in the U.S. of either sex.
4) Royal Delta - Back to back Ladies' Classic champ did it on the front.
5) I'll Have Another - The forgotten horse was our best the first half.
6) Shanghai Bobby - Distance limitations be damned; unbeaten champion.
7) Mucho Macho Man - He did everything you could ask but win.
8) Little Mike - My wagering nemesis picked the right days to shine.
9) Point of Entry - Like the Macho Man, he was gallant in defeat.
10) Game On Dude - Would it have been different with a better break?
Honorable Mention - Animal Kingdom, My Miss Aurelia, Zagora, Beholder, Trinniberg, Executiveprivilege, The Lumber Guy, Flat Out, Obviously, Marketing Mix, Bodemeister, Include Me Out, and last but not least ... Paynter.