Oh man, my girl Groupie Doll is joining the Cigar Mile party. With Goldencents already in, Honor Code Remsen bound, and the Demoiselle and Comely also on the day’s festivities, I can’t help but think that I need to be on any plane or train headed to the Big A on November 30. Or maybe it’s time for a good old fashioned road trip. I can do this, let’s get the racetrack road trip checklist fired up…
1) Gonna need some cash - To bet with, to eat with, and just in case of little things that may go wrong. And oh yeah, those tolls into New York are sinister.
2) Co-pilots - What’s a good road trip without a partner that knows racing, understands me, and is ready for some fun. Scott Dick? Dave Zenner? Candice Zipse? I’ll do most of the driving if you chip in on the unleaded.
3) Check the Car - Oil change, check the tires. In other words, show some love to the ride that’s gonna get you there.
4) And if the car fails you, have AAA on the ready - I’ve never called them yet, but make sure that new offer that came with the latest car purchase is activated, cause brother, you just never know.
5) Directions - Been awhile since I’ve been to the Big A. I know it’s not too far from Belmont, but there’s no point getting lost on race morning.
6) Hotel Reservations - Aqueduct is every bit of 12 hours, so I’m going to need a place to lay my head the night before, and the night after, the Groupie Doll Mile. If I’m sharing a room with anyone but Candice, I will need two beds. No, “those aren’t pillows!” for this guy.
7) Credentials - I will need to say hello to Buff, and thank Ms. Pope, so I am going to have to make sure I can get inside the ropes for this one.
8) Past Performances - Anytime spent in the passenger seat, means some time handicapping the races. I will not bet against the Doll, but let’s see if I can’t pair her up with some nice prices in this all-graded stakes Pick 4.
9) Don’t forget the power cords - The computer will need to stay juiced up, and there ain’t nothing worse than having a cellphone with no power.
10) Pack some Gaviscon - Besides a clean pair of undies, I’m going to also need something to settle the stomach. Between the fast, and I mean fast, food on the road, and the off chance that Groupie Doll gets nailed on the wire again this year, it’s best I have something to quell the stomach demons.
That’s it. That’s the list. Let’s do this thing!